
The Book: Chanda, recently orphaned by AIDS, hopes to find support and safety at her grandparent’s home back on the cattle post. Her courage is sorely tested when her younger siblings are kidnapped and forced to become child soldiers. Don’t miss this unforgettable African tale of adventure, suffering and redemption.
The Author: Allan Stratton was in grade 12 when his play The Rusting Heart was produced on CBC radio. His summer job after third year university was acting at the Stratford Festival. After completing an Honours B.A. in English and an MA in Drama from the University of Toronto, he acted fulltime in theatre, T.V. and film, until switching to playwriting with the international success of his comedy Nurse Jane Goes to Hawaii. In the late 1990s he headed the Drama Department at the Etobicoke School of the Arts, and began to write fiction. Both of his previous young adult novels, Leslie’s Journal and Chanda’s Secrets, were first runner-ups for the White Pine Award. They were also named to the American Library Association’s Best Books list and won many other citations and awards here and abroad. Allan likes to snorkel, dive, travel. Allan’s website: www.allanstratton.com
Chanda's Wars was my favourite book out of all 10. It opens our eyes to the problems in the world, such as child soldiers. Another great book by Allan Stratton!
ReplyDeletewas an amazing book that makes you laugh and cry
ReplyDeleteit was very eye opening and a great story of hope
This was an amazing book. It makes me grateful for the country I live in and pray for those who aren't as fortunate. Chanda's Wars was an overall fantastic book
ReplyDeleteA great book. I loved the characters, and the plot... except for the children's escape from the general. Although I loved that the children were saved, their escape seemed unrealistic. But, all in all, a moving and poignant book!
ReplyDeleteA beautiful story. Hard to imagine that these terrible things really happen, and I think Bethany is right, these stories probably don't end this well in reality.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed this book, though I found it a little hard to get into the book, until the capture of the children. Then it got intense. Just imaging all the blood and craziness was mind boggling. just picturing what people in other countries have to go through gave me a new view on how lucky we are to live in a country like Canada.
ReplyDeleteThis book was great! I couldn't get into it initially, but once the kids were taken, I couldn't put it down! I love the relationship between Nelson and Chanda....it almost acted as comic relief in the story. Anyways, GREAT book.
ReplyDeleteSorry to comment again, but I was trying to figure out what country Chanda lives in...but I can't recall if it's ever mentioned. Does anyone know?
ReplyDeleteReading this book made me very glad of the fact that I live in Canada and that the events that take place in the book do not occur here. It was great to read a book that brings many things that many people experience in Africa to my eyes. Now I can at least imagine what it would be like to be a child soldier and have my parents die when I am young.
ReplyDeleteRebecca, SDCH: I am not sure what country she lives in. I am pretty sure it gives a region but I am unsure whether it actually exists or is fictional.
This book was very hard to get into in the very beginning. But overall it was a decent book.
ReplyDeleteThe relationship between Nelson and Chanda was really interesting I thought.