
The Book: Daughter of War is the captivating story of Marta and Kevork, two Armenian teenagers struggling to survive the Armenian genocide in Turkey during World War I.
The Author: Marsha Skrypuch is the author of 11 books for children and young adults, both picture books and novels. Her books are about such diverse topics as anorexia, the 1930s famine in Ukraine, and the Armenian genocide.
Marsha originally wrote a lengthy unpublished story about the Armenian genocide called Shadows in the Sand. So far, three of her novels have been written using ideas from this story. To read more about the characters in Daughter of War, check out the books that tell their earlier stories: The Hunger and Nobody’s Child.
Marsha’s website is: www.calla.com
i really loved this book. it was nice to read some historical fiction. i learned about something that i didn't know about before and that was cool. it felt very genuine and i really loved it!! it made me think.
ReplyDeleteA very good, but sad, book. I had never heard of the Armenian genocide before reading this book.
ReplyDeleteI loved this book. It was intense how you knew that both Kevork and Marta were alive but they were unaware of this. It was sad how it described all those people piled up dead, and how all the people were murdered. It was sad, but so awesome. Learning of what has happened in the past. I loved how Kevork didn't care about Marta's past because he loved her so much that it didn't matter that she had a daughter. The ending of this book was great.
ReplyDeleteDear Lydia, Bethany and Emily,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your wonderful comments about my novel, Daughter of War.
In case you're interested in knowing more about Kevork, Marta and Mariam, my 2003 novel, Nobody's Child, takes place just before Daughter of War. And another novel, The Hunger, has Marta as a character.
best
Marsha Skrypuch
www.calla.com
This was very good book-i only knew a little bit about the situation and this was a good way to raise awareness.
ReplyDeleteThis was a good book. I learned a lot about the Armenian genocide. I loved the plot and everything. Just the fact that in the end Kevork and Marta wind up together killed the book for me. The odds seem far too great for that to ever happen. It was great and all, but just didn't do it for me.
ReplyDeleteThis was a AWESOME book.
ReplyDeleteI learned a lot about the lives of people in Turkey and the surrounding areas.
Overall it was a great book
the plot was nice but i dont really think
that its possible that after a long time that Kevork and Marta could be together.
I really enjoyed reading this book. I thought it was very well written, almost with some distance but yet, it really felt like I was traveling with Kevork. It was a great way to learn more about a dark period in history.
ReplyDeleteDear Maaike,
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted that you enjoyed Daughter of War. You're right that not much seems to be known about the Armenian genocide. It took much research to find out as much as I did about it.
best
Marsha
Dear Jonas,
ReplyDeleteThat's too bad that the ending killed it for you. Frankly, if they hadn't got together in the end, I think many readers would have killed me!
Seriously though, there were ways for Kevork to find Marta the entire time but John Coren and the other missionaries held back the information because they wanted to use him to smuggle food and cash through the deportation lines.
best
Marsha
Dear Anonymous,
ReplyDeleteI'm delighted that you found Daughter of War to be an awesome read!
best
Marsha
I really liked how this book showed the horrible treatment of the Armenians and how it didn't make the genocide seem small and unimportant. I like how we got to follow different people throughout the book. I really enjoyed this book.
ReplyDeleteI really loved this book and it's constantly on my mind. I had never heard of the Armenian genocide before reading the book but it's horrible to think that it was going on so un-noticed. It was a great way to tell the world about a piece of history.
ReplyDeleteI really liked this book and the background information that was included in the story. It was entertaining and I couldn't put it down.
ReplyDelete